Saturday, March 17, 2012

Winter waterbird census - March

[Saturday, March 17, 2012]
As usual, closest weekend to 15th day in a month is the date of winter waterbird census. I have visited my counting section for the 5th time this winter. We had first real spring days after frozen winter in western Slovakia. Indeed I started the day wearing sweater, softshell jacket and gloves on my hands as it was only 2°C in Hamuliakovo, but 2,5 hours later and 6km upstream of the seepage channel it was already 15°C so the upper parts of my clothes went to my backpack. I will mention the numbers of observed water birds on my counting section. Due to warm weather and the fact that several banks of were mowed of grass and its reed the numbers of birds were smaller than expected: Mute Swan 10, Mallard 56, Wigeon 8, Gadwall 20, Garganey 6, Tufted Duck 55, Pochard 1, Ferruginous Duck 1, Little Grebe 48, Coot 24, White Wagtail 8, Grey Wagtail 1, Reed Bunting 6, Muscovy Duck 1. Even though it was an amazing fieldwork day that was laced with valuable observations, weird headwrecker and lifer in the end. Let's check it!
Hooded Crow - Corvus cornix
 Sometimes your birdwatching starts already in the city.
Garganey - Anas querquedula
 First look in the start of my counting section brought new species into my yearlist.
Pair of Garganeys and Gadwall (Anas strepera).
Robin - Erithacus rubecula
Great view on Robin always makes me smile.
My route alongside the seepage channel.
Bicycle path on the top of the embankment of Hrušovská zdrž water dam. Dam is on left, seepage channel on right hand side.
Large surface of water dam. Despite calm water there were only few birds in good sight. Most of them were far or in bad counterlight.
Tree Sparrow - Passer montanus
Chirping mates in morning sun.
Calm water of seepage channel.
Guess who was passing by recently.
One of the day's highlights - Eurasian Beaver (Castor fiber).
Few Wigeons (Anas penelope) found just a while later.
 I didn't remember this nest from my previous walks. It must be this year's work. Another species to my yearlist.
Penduline Tit - Remiz pendulinus.
Penduline Tit feeding near its nest.
I've spotted few Song Thrushes, Robin, immature Black Redstart and this lonesome Starling with beatiful glossy feathers.
Muscovy Duck - Cairina moschata
You need to be prepared for everything when you are in the field but this observation was kind of shocking for me. At first I thought that Great Cormorant in courtship plumage landed on the channel but when I checked it closer a found this weird looking bird. I was unable to make any ID, I thought it's some kind of hybrid. Later in the evening my friends helped me to solve this headwrecker. It's an escapee from some near lying farm. Muscovy Duck is kept on farms due to its size and large liver.
Another Garganey.
Snowdrop - Galanthus nivalis
Flowers in bloom are sign that winter is over.
Yellow Star of Bethlehem - Gagea lutea
Two-leaf Squill - Scilla bifolia
Coltsfoot - Tussilago farfara
Great Grey Shrike - Lanius excubitor
After hearing my first Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita) of the year I spotted Great Grey Shrike in the treetop. If you think that first Chiffchaff, Penduline Tit, Garganey of the season, great video of mostly night -active Beaver and weird headwrecker are enough for great day you're wrong.
Near the end of my counting section I found most elegant duck that can be found in Slovakia. Ferruginous Duck (Aythya nyroca) is rare breeder in our country. Number of breeding pairs is estimated from only 5 to 20. Such great days use to bring some bonus reward. I found it in the small area of forest steppe that is embraced by old river arm of River Danube. In Protected Reserve "Ostrov Kopáč" I heard and saw my first ever Woodlark (Lullula arborea). You can find photos of this marvel area inside River Danube's alluvial forests here.

List of observed bird species during the day:
Common Pheasant    (Phasianus colchicus)
Mute Swan    (Cygnus olor)
Gadwall    (Anas strepera)
Wigeon    (Anas penelope)
Mallard    (Anas platyrhynchos)
Garganey    (Anas querquedula)
Pochard    (Aythya ferina)
Ferruginous Duck    (Aythya nyroca)
Tufted Duck    (Aythya fuligula)
Common Goldeneye    (Bucephala clangula)
Little Grebe    (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe    (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant    (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Sparrowhawk    (Accipiter nisus)
Common Buzzard    (Buteo buteo)
Common Kestrel    (Falco tinnunculus)
Coot    (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull    (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Feral Pigeon    (Columba livia f. domestica)
Wood Pigeon    (Columba palumbus)
Collared Dove    (Streptopelia decaocto)
Great Spotted Woodpecker    (Dendrocopos major)
Green Woodpecker    (Picus viridis)
Great Grey Shrike    (Lanius excubitor)
Jay    (Garrulus glandarius)
Common Magpie    (Pica pica)
Rook    (Corvus frugilegus)
Hooded Crow    (Corvus cornix)
Marsh Tit    (Poecile palustris)
Great Tit    (Parus major)
Blue Tit    (Cyanistes caeruleus)
Penduline Tit    (Remiz pendulinus)
Woodlark    (Lullula arborea) - Lifer!!!
Long-tailed Tit    (Aegithalos caudatus)
Chiffchaff    (Phylloscopus collybita)
Common Starling    (Sturnus vulgaris)
Blackbird    (Turdus merula)
Song Thrush    (Turdus philomelos)
Robin    (Erithacus rubecula)
Black Redstart    (Phoenicurus ochruros)
House Sparrow    (Passer domesticus)
Tree Sparrow    (Passer montanus)
Grey Wagtail    (Motacilla cinerea)
White Wagtail    (Motacilla alba)
Chaffinch    (Fringilla coelebs)
Greenfinch    (Carduelis chloris)
Goldfinch    (Carduelis carduelis)
Linnet    (Carduelis cannabina)
Yellowhammer    (Emberiza citrinella)
Reed Bunting    (Emberiza schoeniclus)
Muscovy Duck  (Cairina moschata f. domestica) - escapee

No comments:

Post a Comment