Sunday, March 4, 2012

Early Spring Floods on Morava River - pt. 1

[Saturday, March 3, 2012]
There was very fine forecast for the weekend, so I decided to try get up early and catch my morning train. I wanted to visit on of my favourite sites near Morava river. Morava creates borderline between Slovakia and Austria. This interesting area of well preserved floodplains is part of IBA Morava. There is a bunch of images so I will split this photoreport into two parts.
 
 Five minutes before arrival of my train on Bratislava-Lamač train station.
 
Just 20 minutes later I got off the train in Devínske Jazero. Finally new train - day has fine start.
View on meadows called Hoferské lúky. That tree line in the background shows Morava river banks. I love these early mornings here. You know that you have full day ahead and you are already "in action".
Here is the real end of the city. Northernmost settlement of Bratislava ends with "Old Bicycle Buffet" - popular point of interest for cyclists. Later in afternoon I've met already few of them.


Great sighting of Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) illuminated in the morning sun.
In this place river Malina pours into Morava.
Just compare it to conditions that were exactly 3 weeks earlier. River Malina was completely frozen and Morava was full of floating ice
Cormorants (Phalacrocorax carbo) are resident here.
But Wood Pigeons (Columba palumbus) are here just few days...
...and Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris) as well.
 I was counting with obstacles in form of high water so I put on my gum-boots. There were only 5cm of height of my boots left but my feet remained dry.
Meadows were flooded. Now you know why they are called floodplains.
Water was slowly creeping on. Here can river overflow onto the meadows more than 3km away from its usual river-basin.
Oxbow lakes are getting fresh water. I spotted few Mute Swans (Cygnus olor), male Wigeon (Anas penelope) and tens of Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos).
White-tailed Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) was perching on the tree. Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) was perching nearby but it flew away just a moment before this shot.


Hundreds of Greylag Geese (Anser anser) and White-fronted Geese (Anser albifrons) were landing nearby.
This was the end of my walk this way. The water level was too high beyond this line.
I turned back, wade 30 metres again and decided to continue my walk along Malina river. The rest of the day you can find in part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment