Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Beast from the East

On Tuesday I received good news from my colleague that two other Slovak birdwatchers want to see reported White-billed Diver (Gavia adamsii) in Vienna and we could join them. Our small twitching expedition started after 13:00 from Bratislava and in an hour we were in the southeastern outskirts of Vienna. During our ride we spotted two White-tailed Eagles soaring near the bridge in Hainburg. It was a good sign. We parked near Neue Donau canal and had a short walk to the nearest bridge. At first it gave us only short glimpses as the bird was diving for a pretty long time and could swim long distances under the water. For a short while the only birds I found were Goosanders and a Coot. I was the last from the group who had the luck to spot this "Beast from the East" in full beauty. Bird decided to clear its feathers so we were able to observe it on the water surface. I couldn't compare it to anything as my only Diver species observed before was Black-throated Diver and this bird was simply huge and incredible. Its bill was really frightening, like a pair of extreme sharp scissors. Then the bird started to dive again but for a several times it emerged not more than 30-40 meters from us. This bird was a lifer for all members of our small expedition. There is only one record of White-billed Diver in Slovakia in modern era. One bird spent few weeks in Bratislava in January and February 1994. Now almost everybody can understand that such a rarity found in Vienna is simply irresistible for any of Slovak birders living close to Vienna. After horrible time on Saturday that I spent counting White-tailed Eagles in wind, freezing rain and cold I mentioned that I wish to have some interesting bird observation in return in following months. I didn't thought that I will observe three Whooper Swans and one Bewick's Swan on Tuesday and amazing White-billed Diver on Wednesday. Two arctic lifelist ticks in just two days in Central Europe between Vienna and Bratislava are simply unbelievable.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment