Sunday, November 3, 2013

100 urban bird species this year and counting...

I was guiding a bird walk in Petržalka this morning. Our targets were common bird species of local waterbodies as Mute Swans, Coots or Black-headed Gull. We were exploring quiet corners of nature in this large borough of Bratislava, mostly comprised of blocks of flats. Last year in the beginning of November (9.11.2012) we observed Black-throated Loon (Gavia arctica) on Lake Veľký Draždiak. Today we had a reprise. Beside me and my colleague Katka there were also participants of our guided walk, that have spotted this unusual bird as well. Until today I have observed 99 various bird species in the urban areas of Bratislava this year. It couldn't be any better than reaching magical "100" with such a stunning bird as Black-throated Loon really is. I tried to make proper documentation so here are the results: 
Black-throated Loon (Gavia arctica)
Black-throated Loon (Gavia arctica) with Mute Swans (Cygnus olor)
Black-throated Loon (Gavia arctica) before diving
Black-throated Loon (Gavia arctica)
Black-throated Loon (Gavia arctica) in the rain




I think you may have enough of this Loon, so here is a little bonus of the other species observed today. Kingfisher was another addition to my urban yearlist.
Treecreeper (Certhia sp.), probably common one (C. familiaris)
Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) - nr. 101 in my urban Bratislava yearlist
Coot (Fulica atra)
adult Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) in winter plumage

No comments:

Post a Comment