Sunday, January 13, 2013

Birding In River Port

I decided to visit Danube's river port. Low grey clouds, temperature below zero and my hands were freezing. I checked the calm waters of river port for water birds. At first I spotted flock of 25 Tufted Ducks. Apart of it I found 3 Great Crested Grebe and a Little Grebe. Mallards were swimming near the bank. I saw 2 large gulls (may be Caspian G.). After that I moved a few tens of meters towards main course of Danube. In the channel that connects port with river I have found 3 Pochards, 3 Coots, 4 Mallards and 2 Great Cormorants. 9 Common Goldeneyes were diving in the strong stream of Danube on the opposite side of the river. It is good to check this area from time to time. Earlier this winter we found here Black-throated Loon. Today's birds belong to common wintering species in the port and section of Danube below Stary most (Old bridge) but as one can see even industrial zones of Bratislava have their interesting bird inhabitants.

No comments:

Post a Comment