Friday, February 3, 2012

Freezing afternoon in Ružinov

[Friday, February 3, 2012]
After the lunch with my younger brother I decided to have an urban birdwatching in Ružinov (part of Bratislava). Few weeks earlier I read about the "20 bird minimum daily requirement", so I tried it in little bit hardcore conditions. It was -8°C, all 3 lakes in Ružinov were frozen.

lake Kuchajda - no ducks, no swans...just skaters
Even Rooks were roosting in the tree-tops. Despite bad weather conditions the "limit" was almost fulfilled. The count stopped at number 18 and I realized that it's not impossible to make it at least 20, but you need to know exact places where to look for different species. I was happy to find my first Jackdaws of this winter (probably because of the fact I wasn't looking for them all the winter).

2 Rooks in front, 3 Jackdaws behind
And Syrian Woodpecker made me smile too. I have found last unfrozen part of lake Štrkovec. In that small spot man could see Black-headed Gulls, Coots, Swans, Mallards(some of them hybrids) and Feral Pigeons nearby. Some guy came to feed them.


List of observed bird species:
Mute Swan  (Cygnus olor)
Mallard  (Anas platyrhynchos)
Coot  (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull  (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Feral Pigeon  (Columba livia f. domestica)
Collared Dove  (Streptopelia decaocto)
Syrian Woodpecker  (Dendrocopos syriacus)
Common Magpie  (Pica pica)
Jackdaw  (Coloelus monedula)
Rook  (Corvus frugilegus)
Hooded Crow  (Corvus cornix)
Great Tit  (Parus major)
Blue Tit  (Cyanistes caeruleus)
Blackbird  (Turdus merula)
Fieldfare  (Turdus pilaris)
Robin  (Erithacus rubecula)
House Sparrow  (Passer domesticus)
Goldfinch  (Carduelis carduelis)

...and here are the other bird species that could be seen in the area to fulfill the "20 Bird MDR", but I was not so lucky: Common Gull, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, and may be few more...I will try it in 2 or 3 weeks and we will see where the counting stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment